The European Youth Forum (YFJ) is the leading organisation advocating for rights of young people. We are a Platform of Youth Organisations, independent, democratic and youth-led, we represent 103 National Youth Councils and International Youth Organisations from across the Continent. The Youth Forum works to empower young people to participate actively in society to improve their own lives, by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organisations towards the European Institutions, the Council of Europe and the United Nations.
The European Youth Forum AISBL (YFJ) is now looking for up to three Policy Officers to join our team. The Policy Officers will work in the Policy and Advocacy Department and report to one of the Department’s Team Leaders. They will work on the implementation of the policies defined by the European Youth Forum Strategic Priorities and the Implementation Plan.
Each Policy Officer will have a portfolio or portfolios assigned to them, which is reviewed annually according to our internal planning. We put greatest value on your ability to learn and organise advocacy activities. Currently we are looking for candidates with specific prior experience in one or more of these areas:
• Sustainable Development
• Social inclusion
• Youth political participation.
• Implement and follow-up the European Youth Forum policies in accordance with the organisation’s strategy under the supervision of the Team Leader.
• Advocate for the European Youth Forum’s policies towards EU institutions, Council of Europe, United Nations and other stakeholders.
• Build a strong network and strengthen relationships with the various actors in the relevant fields (member organisations, other youth NGOs, relevant stakeholders, social partners, civil society and institutional partners).
• Assist the Team Leader and the Policy and Advocacy Director as required.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the strategic priorities and work plan of the European Youth Forum.
• Plan, execute and implement advocacy actions aimed at policymakers, stakeholders and other decision-makers.
• Liaise and plan strategically with the relevant Board members in relation to the area of work.
• Collaborate with Member Organisations and coordinate working structures in the policy field or working area (networks & expert groups).
• Promote and represent the Forum in external bodies (e.g. stakeholder consultation groups, conferences). Monitor and report on policy developments and provide background information to the other team members, Board and Member Organisations.
• Identify issues of concerns and/or possible opportunities for the Forum.
• Undertake research, surveys and external consultations on topics relevant to the Forum and its Members Organisations.
• Implement meetings and conferences with the support of the Events Team.
• Oversee execution of the budget that has been allocated to the working area.
• Report on developments in the relevant fields and provide information
• Act as a point of contact for related policy area matters.
• Write policy documents, reports and publications.
• Collaborate with other Secretariat colleagues in providing content for internal and external communication and documents including for the website, press, social media and for annual reports, grant applications and reporting etc.).
• Assist with other projects and tasks deemed necessary and appropriate by the Director and the Team leader.
• Take in new duties as required by the needs of the employer and in accordance with the work regulations.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
• Have at least a 2 years professional experience in policymaking, advocacy or interest-representation and a good understanding of policy making at either national, European or Global level.
• A higher education degree in social science, law, political science, international or EU affairs or other relevant field is strongly desirable but can be compensated by relevant NGO and/or non-formal education experience.
• Experience in the area of sustainable development, employment, social inclusion or political participation is preferable.
• Quick learner with strong ability to develop knowledge on new concepts and adapt to new processes.
• An open and avid communicator and a strong team player, proactively including colleagues and member organisations in your work.
• Background experience in youth work, particularly in a youth organisation and in non-formal education is a strong asset.
• Sensitivity to youth issues in the field of education.
• Experience with working in a multicultural environment.
• Willingness to travel on a regular basis and to work flexible hours and on weekends, when required.
• Willingness to live in Belgium.
Policy & Advocacy skills:
• Ability to understand and identify opportunities in the European and global decision-making processes.
• Very good knowledge of the different institutional partners with whom the Youth Forum works, such as the EU institutions, Council of Europe and United Nations.
• Ability to advocate effectively and to communicate in an articulated manner to a wide range of audiences both in written and orally.
• Ability to formulate a position, analyse documents and monitor processes.
• Excellent writing skills in English.
• Ability to research, collate, analyse and summarise information.
• Ability to manage effectively your own time, activities and budget.
• Sociable, service oriented and at ease in a multicultural environment.
• Proactive, critical, flexible and solution oriented.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team on a common project.
• Ability to work under pressure, manage challenging workload and tight deadlines.
• Ability to master new technical and organisation concepts.
• Ability to multi-task and coordinate several projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrate excellent time management and organisational skills in stressful situations.
• A team player with excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
• Computer literacy: good working knowledge of word processing, e-mail and Internet applications.
TERMS OF THE CONTRACT
The duration of the contract is five years. The contract is full time (35 hours per week) and the gross monthly salary (for a P1 position according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement currently applied at the European Youth Forum) is 2.754 €. A relocation package, hospitalisation insurance and other benefits are available. Travel expenses within the Brussels region are covered by the European Youth Forum.