Senior Associate, Global Energy Innovation
ECF – European Climate Foundation
Location: Paris, France
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
Context of the role
The European Climate Foundation is setting up a new international programme focused on significantly accelerating the lab-to-market process for commercializing clean energy technologies and solutions across the globe. The aim is also to preserve or increase country commitments to fund clean energy research, development, and demonstration (RD&D), including those made through the initiative Mission Innovation (MI). Through this effort, a suite of activities will be carried out to ensure that countries achieve maximum outcome and impact from increasing innovation budgets, communicate on the success stories to make this agenda more prominent in their national debates, and bolster international collaboration on clean energy RD&D.
Duties and responsibilities
The Senior Associate’s role includes a wide range of responsibilities to drive the analytical work of the Clean Energy Innovation programme and to engage with a wide network of strategic partners. You will be working directly with several consultancies and grantees to develop expert perspectives on clean energy innovation for several countries, track and monitor the progress of the different work streams and push the analytical work to draw important insights for governments.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy: helping set programme priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners;
- Grant making: developing the scope of work for research projects and other engagements, and drafting requests for proposals (RFPs); soliciting proposals from potential European grantees and commissioning studies from consultants; drafting selection recommendations for board/donors’ consideration;
- Project management: managing and monitoring deliverables and analytical work conducted by a set of grantees and external consultancies by maintaining frequent communication, providing strategic direction and ensuring accountability; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report progress to donors;
- Analysis and communications: synthesizing findings from external consultancies and grantees to recommendations and insights relevant for governments; supporting the Communications Director to develop e.g. dissemination material, press releases;
- Networking: building partnerships with key stakeholders across the policymaking, business and civil society communities across Europe and internationally; convening meetings; representing the programme at meetings.
She/he will report to Director, Global Energy Innovation.
We are looking for 8+ years experienced candidates with a strong record within business and/or engineering and with a Master’s degree. Experience from either an energy utility, an energy investment company or from a consultancy firm is a plus.
Important skills and mindset include:
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation, and in supporting a global effort to find alternative energy solutions that are reliable, affordable, and do not emit greenhouse gases;
- Demonstrated political savvy and ability to approach issues in an objective way;
- Deep understanding of energy, innovation and/or climate change policy, as well as policy implementation challenges. Understanding of energy innovation subject area (finance, technology and/or policy) a plus;
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written). Any additional language skills are a plus, preferably Spanish and/or French;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Very strong verbal, written and presentation skills;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A full-time position with a 12-months fixed term contract;
- A competitive salary.
Paris, France preferred location, but other ECF office locations are also possible. The role includes traveling as required.
Start date: As soon as possible
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to the following email address: Apply-SeniorAssociateGEI@Europeanclimate.org.
Please, indicate ´Recruitment – Senior Associate – Innovation´ in the Subject line. Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 5th November
Early applications are encouraged, and an appointment may be made before the deadline if the right candidate is found.
For more information on the ECF, please visit www.europeanclimate.org.