Rainforest Trust seeks a Public Relations Specialist to support the successful functioning of its growing Conservation Outreach Department.
Reporting to the Director of Media and Conservation Outreach, the Public Relations Specialist provides primary oversight of Rainforest Trust’s public relations outreach, developing and executing a well-defined public relations strategy designed to promote Rainforest Trust’s institutional profile and brand awareness across multiple media channels. The Public Relations Specialist is responsible for evaluating, organizing, managing, and contributing content to achieve communications goals.
Rainforest Trust is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 1988. By partnering with conservation leaders around the world, the organization supports the purchase and protection of rainforest acres and critical habitat for endangered species. Rainforest Trust has helped protect nearly 8 million rainforest acres.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Manage all media relations’ activities, including cultivating relationships with the press, writing press releases, pitching stories, writing op-eds, and letters to the editor
• Work collaboratively with Rainforest Trust staff and other public relations professionals to design and launch media strategy that includes proactive media outreach and reactive response tactics across a wide variety of digital and traditional media entities
• Arrange for media interviews with key Rainforest Trust staff, including CEO, President, and other senior staff
• Collaborate with Outreach team to create, maintain and execute a media outreach editorial calendar
• Provide ongoing media training for Rainforest Trust staff; develop and maintain a pool of Rainforest Trust “experts” to offer to media as interview subjects
• Respond to press inquiries: provide information, images and videos as needed
• Build and maintain relationships with press members
• Meticulously develop and update press list
• Conduct weekly follow up with targeted press members to encourage coverage
• Track all press hits, maintain master list, and outline these outcomes in weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
• Create and monitor benchmarks for measuring the impact of media placements
• Contribute to the setting of core messaging to ensure consistency in all Rainforest Trust communications
• Play a contributing role in the planning and implementation of comprehensive outreach campaigns and initiatives
• Write and edit print and digital content for Rainforest Trust website and related publications
• Perform other duties as assigned or required.
· Extensive knowledge of the U.S. media and a track record of at least three years of successful media outreach experience, including high-level placements, strong existing relationships preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in related field
· Excellent writing and editing skills for a variety of media channels
· Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with relevant media, PR contacts and the online community
· Demonstrated ability to act and effectively respond quickly online or through media contacts to current events related to the organization’s work
· Public speaking experience
· Strong self-organization, planning, and time management skills
· Meticulous attention to detail
· Ability to operate independently and as part of Rainforest Trust’s team-orientated Conservation Outreach Department
· Public relations experience in non-profit and/or conservation field preferred
· Knowledge of tropical conservation and wildlife species is preferred
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
Location: Warrenton, USA
Application deadline: Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.