Vacancy Notice N° e46/2016
Assistant Lawyer – Ukraine (Grade B3)
Registry of the European Court of Human Rights
FIXED TERM CONTRACT
The Junior Professionals Programme: the Assistant Lawyers’ scheme
The Assistant Lawyers’ Scheme opens the doors of the European Court of Human Rights to legal professionals at the start of their career, giving them an opportunity to gain experience working within this European institution. They will benefit from regular working contact with experienced case lawyers, senior managers and the judges themselves. While dealing with individual applications originating from their own legal system and assisting senior colleagues in handling more complex applications, assistant lawyers benefit from the Registry’s in-house training programme and deepen their knowledge of the functioning of the European Court of Human Rights and the Convention case-law.
The Scheme serves the twofold objective of bringing new talent to the Registry and contributing to greater awareness and understanding of the Convention in the legal profession throughout Europe as assistant lawyers advance in their careers elsewhere. The length of employment of assistant lawyers under the Registry’s Assistant Lawyers’ Scheme is limited to four years.
The principal duties of an assistant lawyer consist of assisting more senior members of staff in the preparation of correspondence with applicants and draft decisions in standard form cases.
Under the authority of the Registrar of the European Court of Human Rights and of a Head of a Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- examines and deals with applications in prima facie inadmissible cases and in cases which can be dealt with in a standard manner;
- drafts decisions, minutes, reports, notes and other documents;
- advises applicants, in correspondence or, if necessary, in interviews, on the conditions of admissibility of applications;
- attends the Court’s sessions and presents applications;
- assists one or more experienced case-lawyers, where necessary, in the preparation of Chamber cases for examination by the Court.Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Location: Strasbourg, France
Closing date: 27 April 2016