The European Union Delegation to China is looking for a Secretary in the Political, Press and Information Section (Chinese National, LA III)
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to China is responsible for the conduct of official relations between China and the European Union. In all matters pertaining to the European Union, the Delegation works closely with the diplomatic missions of the EU Member States, particularly the one representing the EU Presidency, which changes every six months.
We offer a post of a Secretary. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as a Secretary – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as support staff to:
- COMMUNICATION and PUBLICATION – Communication actions: Information gathering and analysis
- Assisting in working as Political, Press and Information Secretary in particular on Chinese sources;
- Monitoring of official, academic and other open sources on Chinese domestic and foreign policy and EU-China relations and providing related inputs into the political section’s reporting;
- Liaison with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, CPC bodies, Ministry of Public Security, the National People’s Congress, Universities, think tanks, provincial governments, etc.;
- Organisational and logistical support to high level visit and Administrative contacts with Headquarters;
- Managing the planning of missions and conferences for the Political, Press and Information section staff as required;
- Partake as needed in the other activities of the Political, Press & Information Section and the Delegation.
- COMMUNICATION and PUBLICATION – Communication actions
- Research on weibo, wechat and popular on-line forums
- Delegation’s microblog management;
- Website management;
- OPERATIONAL and ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT and RESOURCES – Administrative and
- Administrative support, including intern recruitment, section’s holiday and mission planning;
- Back up receptionist as requested by Admin Section;
- Assisting in research;
- Assisting in drafting reports.
under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Political, Press and Information Section.
Place of employment is located in China, Beijing. The weekly working hours are 37.5h. Starting basic gross salary of a LA III is 11979 CNY. We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
We look for
Education, knowledge and skills
- Minimum high school degree; university degree in a field relevant to the work of the section can be an asset
- Office administration
- Information, Communication & Publication
- Press and media
- Social media
- IT Tools
- Research skills
- Commitment to work with quality, speed and accuracy
- Able to both work independently (self-motivated) and as a member of a team
- High degree of responsibility and discretion
- Flexibility to work under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands
- Strong sense of confidentiality and diplomacy
- Proven problem-solving abilities
- Drafting skills
- Communication skills
- Delivering Quality and Results
- Ability to work in a proactive and autonomous way
- Strong research skills
- Prioritising and Organising
- Capacity to deliver in a structured way
- Working with Others
- Ability to work in a team
- Chinese (mandarin) mother tongue, fluent written and spoken English
Minimum working experience
- 3 years’ experience in a relevant field preferred; experience of media an advantage;
- Work experience in relation to functions and duties above mentioned will be an advantage;
- Dedication and hard working with a good team spirit;
- A letter of recommendation from a previous workplace or university
Minimum physical requirements
- Pass the required pre-recruitment medical exam
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to Delegation-China-HR@eeas.europa.eu in the subject line mentioning reference Family Name-Name-Secretary-PPI Section. The application email should include a cover letter in and a detailed CV in English.
The deadline for reception of the applications is set for 17 hrs (GMT +8) on 27 November 2017.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone –please address any queries concerning this procedure to the above mentioned mailbox with a reference: Question – SECRETARY – Political, Press and Information Section.