The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan offers a post of Project Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as support staff to the following tasks and responsibilities under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of section:
PROJECT OFFICER IN THE FIELDS OF CIVIL SOCIETY AND GOVERNANCE
– Civil Society environment analysis, Sector analysis, strategy formulation and programming.
– Support policy dialogue with all relevant ministries, agencies, donors and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern.
– Contribute to sector analysis and to the definition of a sector strategy for the European Union under the thematic lines and European Neighbourhood Instrument (ENI), e.g: Single Support Framework (SSF), etc.
– Assist in launching, managing and monitoring calls for proposals, tenders, evaluation and selection of projects to be funded by the EU.
– Monitor the implementation of projects financed, attend management and monitoring meetings, elaborate progress reports on projects and propose remedial action if and when needed.
– Ensure the follow up of the implementation of projects and the performances of project managers and partners, monitor contractual obligations (via periodic reviews, audits, reporting and assistances, etc.) and coordinate external expertise.
– Support communication and other horizontal and networking aspects programmes/projects in Jordan, as appropriate and based on security/confidentiality/political appropriateness concerns.
– Maintain good and effective contacts with the local operators in the field, with the national authorities and institutions, with representatives of the diplomatic missions of the EU Member States, with representatives of the principal international donors, with NGOs and other local non-official actors;
– Prepare and assist in missions from Headquarters.
– Extract and disseminate best practices and facilitate exchange of experiences.
– Contribute to the production of publications/information material.
– Produce and disseminate, as appropriate and at the request of the Head of Delegation, the results of projects at workshops, seminars and other public events.
And any other tasks under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Section. The working hours will be 37.5 hours per week from Sunday to Thursday. The place of employment is Amman and the post is group I.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
We look for:
The EU Delegation is seeking a highly motivated candidate to occupy the post of Project Officer in the Cooperation Section of the EU Delegation. The successful candidate will have the following profile and qualities:
University level education of a duration of at least 3 years in Law, Politics, International Relations, Social Sciences, Management or equivalent relevant education.
Successful experience in specific areas of expertise
Proven pertinent 5 years’ experience in the following areas:
- Project Management, preferably in an international context. Geographic desk work or EU Delegation (or equivalent) experience will be an advantage.
- Project management theory and practice. Understanding of EU structures and procedures.
- Professional experience in the management of external aid actions, working with/through Civil Society/NGOs, Public Administrations and other actors.
- Management of Grant, Service and Supply Contracts.
- Working knowledge of the procedures for the implementation of the general budget of the European Union.
- Ability to work in a team and in a multi-cultural environment and to handle issues of a sensitive political nature.
- Competence in monitoring, evaluation and other quality control and assessment techniques.
General skills and competences
Candidate should demonstrate:
- Ability to communicate in meetings
- Ability to understand and be understood
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialised information
- Capacity to present issues to an audience
- Ability to chair meetings
- Excellent Drafting skills
- Computer literacy
Flexibility, accuracy, resistance to stress and committed to deadlines.
Minimum working experience
Proven pertinent working experience in the above mentioned areas of minimum 5 years. Experience in project management, preferably in an international context. Geographic desk work or EU Delegation (or equivalent) experience will be an advantage. At least two, and preferably more, of the minimum of five years of prior professional experience should be directly pertinent to the type of duties to be carried out. Relevant experience in the field will be an advantage.
Excellent command of English and Arabic is must, knowledge of French would be an asset.
How to apply:
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-JORDAN-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu. The subject title must CLEARLY indicate: “Project Officer /Civil Society”.
The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV.
Deadline: 29 July 2017 by 16:00 pm.