The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) is an intergovernmental organisation set up for the promotion of free trade and economic integration to the benefit of its four Member States: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States and has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Luxembourg. In Brussels this entails support in the management of the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA), in particular in ongoing decision making for the continuing evolution of the Agreement.
The Services, Capital, Persons and Programmes Division (SCD) assists the EFTA States in the areas of free movement of services, capital and persons, as well as in horizontal areas relevant to the four freedoms of the Single Market. Furthermore, the SCD assists the EEA EFTA States in relation to their participation in EU programmes.
The successful applicant will assist representatives of the EEA EFTA States in the fulfilment of their commitments under the EEA Agreement in the areas of Internal Market, enterprise and consumer affairs. In addition, s/he will follow horizontal developments within the Internal Market and their effects on the EEA Agreement. This entails the monitoring of EU developments and case handling related to new EEA-relevant EU legislation within the specific policy areas to be incorporated into the EEA Agreement. The successful applicant must be willing to take on the responsibility of other policy areas as needed.
Specifically, s/he will coordinate and provide support services to:
• Experts and working groups comprising representatives of the EFTA States in the above-mentioned areas
• Delegations of the EFTA States in relation to their participation in the relevant European Commission committees and expert groups
S/he will also be tasked with drafting policy documents and giving presentations on policy developments within the European Union with an emphasis on the Internal Market.
S/he will work in close liaison with the relevant EFTA national administrations, EU institutions and EFTA country missions to the EU. In addition, s/he will need to coordinate and liaise with other divisions in the Secretariat on horizontal issues.
Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as political science, international relations, economics or law.
• A minimum of three years’ relevant work experience in a national administration, international organisation and/or related private sector activity
• Knowledge of the EU institutions, policies and procedures
• Solid knowledge of the EEA Agreement
• Ability to draft texts, analytical reports and policy papers concisely and clearly in English
• Self-reliance, autonomy and a proactive approach
• Excellent organisational and communication skills
• Ability to cooperate closely and constructively in an international team
• Extensive experience with standard MS Office software
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of an additional EFTA language would be an asset
Annual starting salary: EUR 87,532
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised.
Salaries and related payments are exempt from taxation by the EFTA States and, as regulated in headquarters agreements, in the EFTA host states. Depending on the candidate’s family status, benefits and allowances may apply.
Applicants must be nationals of one of the EFTA Member States.
Applicants must apply online via the e-recruitment tool.
Deadline for applications: 6 March 2016