The Office of Legal Affairs (OLA), which reports directly to the Director General, provides legal services of the highest possible standards to the Director General, the Secretariat and to the organs and bodies of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), as well as to Member States, regarding the implementation of the IAEA’s activities.
The Nuclear and Treaty Law Section provides legal advice and support to the Office of the Director General and the Secretariat in the areas of nuclear safety and security (including civil liability for nuclear damage), nuclear energy, nuclear applications and technical cooperation. It is also responsible for the IAEA’s depositary function as well as the IAEA’s legislative assistance programme, providing advice and training regarding legislative frameworks governing the safe and peaceful uses of nuclear energy to Member States.
Reporting to and providing support to the Section Head and a group of Legal Officers, the Legal Assistant contributes to the efficient operation of the office by providing legal research assistance and advice on administrative practices and procedures.
Contacts inside the IAEA with Professional and General Service staff as well as with representatives of other international organizations and of Member States/Permanent Missions.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Support the work of the Section Head and other Legal Officers of the Nuclear and Treaty Law Section through legal research and general office management activities.
- Provide assistance to the Section Head and other Legal Officers of the Nuclear and Treaty Law Section with legal research and analytical support and prepare preliminary summaries in connection with tasks undertaken by the Section Head or Legal Officers.
- Assist in providing input for documents and reports for Board meetings and General Conferences.
- Under the supervision of the Section Head and Legal Officers perform procedural formalities relating to depository, registration and subsidiary functions, such as recording and publishing of all instruments, production of certificates for the IAEA’s registrar, and safe keeping of signed originals.
- Provide logistical support and prepare background documents and PowerPoint presentations for conferences, meetings and seminars.
- Keep records of incoming and completed tasks and act as the Section’s contact point for OLA task logbook related matters.
- Provide clerical assistance to the Legal Officers, including drafting of correspondence and recording of meetings.
Undertake other assignments as required and consistent with the level of the post.
Position: Legal Assistant
Organizational Unit: Nuclear and Treaty Law Section
Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Application Deadline: 15 October 2014