Reference Number: 170977
Department: South Asia Department
Division: Urban Development and Water Division, SARD
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Friday, December 1, 2017
Closing Date: Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC: “Septage and fecal sludge management in South Asian countries.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Review the existing practice on septage and fecal sludge management in urban area, focusing on the regulation and business model. Reviewing the urban projects in SARD to identify (i) how and what level of fecal sludge management has been designed and implemented in SAUW urban projects; and (ii) what we can learn from the best practice and what is the recommendation of road map for application in SAUW projects.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Timing: June 2018
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
The intern is expected to do a desk review on septage and fecal sludge management best practice and experience in ADB financed projects. This study will: (i) review the world wide best practice on septage and fecal sludge management and recent progress; (ii) outline any key elements in the best practice; (iii) review experience of septage and fecal sludge management in ADB financed projects to identify lessons learned, and how to improve; (iv) carry out telephone interviews with ADB financed EA/PMO to see their opinions on the areas for improvement; and (vi) draft recommendations for ADB on involvement to improve the septage and fecal sludge management in SARD DMCs.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Masters or PhD Candidate in civil or relevant engineering degree.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Preferred area of experience: water management, environmental engineering, and civil engineering.
Speaking and writing fluent English, good at communication and writing.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).