Established in 2011, The Global Shea Alliance (GSA) is a nonprofit industry association based in Accra, Ghana. Their more than 380 members come from 25 countries and include food and cosmetic brands, suppliers, women’s groups, and non-profit organizations.
The GSA develops and delivers strategies related to industry sustainability, competitiveness, market expansion, and policy advocacy.
They currently manage the following initiatives:
1) A sustainability program that defines member guidelines and projects that promote women’s empowerment and healthy tree populations in Africa,
2) Three annual international conferences and exhibitions to promote shea based ingredients and products,
3) Annual training campaigns to disseminate best practices on quality and storage, and
4) Policy advocacy to establish new trading markets.
The GSA is hiring a full time EU Operations Coordinator to lead region-based policy advocacy, promotion, member outreach, and fundraising activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and execute an advocacy strategy with members and partners to achieve identified policy objectives.
• Develop and maintain relationships with political leaders, government agencies, policy institutions, and others.
Promotion and Outreach
• Research, design, and lead a marketing campaign to promote shea in food and cosmetic industries.
• Develop and maintain relationships with research institutions and a variety of EU media outlets.
• Coordinate publication of news articles.
• Identify and engage new EU members.
• Recruit partners to support GSA sustainability program.
• Manage and produce annual EU Trade and Industry Conference.
• Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities via private foundations, government agencies, international donors, and crowdfunding campaigns.
• Coordinate with GSA technical staff to submit proposals.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree.
• Minimum of two years experience in international development, sustainable supply chains, policy advocacy, and/or non-profit work.
• Passion and commitment for women’s empowerment in Africa.
• Highly motivated and creative problem solver.
• Ability to establish and maintain relationships with public and private institutions.
• Ability to learn and quickly assimilate diverse technical information.
• Proven ability to organize, work independently, and achieve quantifiable results.
• Concise and convincing written and verbal communication ability.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and day-to-day operations simultaneously.
• Must currently hold EU citizenship or EU work permit.
The EU Operations Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the GSA managing director.
The annual salary is approximately €40,000. This position is an ideal opportunity for an ambitious junior level employee seeking challenging growth opportunities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 28, 2015.