The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Multi-Country Office (MCO) is based in Almaty, Kazakhstan and covers 4 countries in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan). MCO programming includes support to Governments and civil society organizations in the development and implementation of innovative approaches aimed at achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The Finance Associate reports to the Operations Manager for guidance and supervision and is responsible for managing and supervising the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the MCO, ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations Team in the Regional Office as well as with the Operations and Programme teams in UN Women HQ for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Administration and implementation of program and operational financial services;
- Support the MCO Management in the preparation, and administration of budget;
- Accounting services and administrative support;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Administration and implementation of program and operational financial services:
- Review and verify financial transactions/activities/documentation for accuracy, appropriateness and completeness and ensure full compliance of financial services and transactions with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and recording and reporting systems. Certify transactions for accuracy and propriety prior to submission to the supervisor for approval and/or action;
- Analyze/interpret the financial rules and regulations, as well as established policies and procedures, and provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Review drafts for cost sharing and Trust Fund agreements including conditions of contributions within resource mobilization efforts. Follow up on contributions within the MCO resource mobilization efforts;
- Monitor and implement an effective and proper functioning of the financial resources management system;
- Manage the financial business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in finance, in consultation with the supervisor;
- Monitor the financial status and implement control mechanisms for management/development projects and keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely actions/decisions.Review status reports for quality control;
- Recommend and/or implement cost saving and reduction strategies, in consultation with the office management;
- Monitor financial exceptions report for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Follow-up and/or take action on audit recommendations to ensure implementation of corrective actions. Assist in reviewing the audit reports on NGO executed projects;
- Supervise and guide staff and personnel under his/her responsibility, as applicable, provide technical guidance and monitor performance to ensure delivery of results according to plans and standards of accountability and performance.
Support MCO Management in the preparation and administration of budgets:
- Collect, verify and present thoroughly researched information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of country program work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
- Input data in Atlas for new grants in the form of Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and monitor status. Keep stakeholders and clients informed for timely action and/or decisions;
- Contribute to office budget planning and preparation by presenting thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources, including reports containing an analysis of the office’s financial situation (expenditures versus budget allocations);
- Provide information/guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects. Keep track of the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;
- Verify accuracy of Combined/Programme Delivery Reports and One UN Financial Reports as applicable. Take appropriate action to ensure accuracy of information;
- Provide information for the audit of projects and implementation of audit recommendations;
- Implement control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status. Track and report on program and operational financial resources;
- Prepare accurate and timely mandated financial reports to donors and other clients and stakeholders.
Accounting services and administrative support:
- Review and verify accuracy and relevancy of the supporting documents for payments and prepare financial reports. Prepare PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects. Act as Finance User (verifying officer) in Atlas;
- Maintain internal expenditures control systems to ensure that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas, payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Review accounts receivables for UN Women projects and follow-up with project managers and finance section at headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items;
- Maintain up to date and accurate data in Atlas and take timely corrective actions on erroneous data;
- Maintain proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers and be fully satisfied before making next installment;
- Draft financial reports for donors in accordance with donor requirements, UN Women procedures and in conjunction with project managers;
- Associate revenue and expenditure in commitment control for non core projects;
- Manage petty cash fund, cash imprest level and other temporary GL accounts, ensuring accuracy and transparency in use and reporting;
- Undertake timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Prepare timely VAT reimbursements with adequate documentation support;
- Ensure all supporting documents on financial transactions are secured and properly filed;
- Acts as vendor approver;
- Request through UN Women Representative security profiles in ARGUS.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Contribute to training initiatives on financial processes by conducting training and/or organizing training events and activities;
- Capture, synthesize and/or codify lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Design and/or introduce innovations in financial business operational practices and management.
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency in financial resources management and success in implementation of operational strategies in the Office. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UN Women credibility in use of financial resources and proper financial process management. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
Location: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Application deadline: 01-Mar-15